Sunday, April 15, 2012

DIY Concrete Planter

For a couple of years I have wanted to try to make my own planter out of concrete.  Just because.  My  husband had to buy a bag to do a fence post repair a few weeks ago.

IMG_9030-001

Since we had some on hand and I had recently saw someone pin the idea on Pinterest (here) I decided to give it a whirl. 

I used her idea of spraying WD 40 on my containers so the concrete would release.

IMG_9031-001

I used a cheap plastic bowl and paint stick to mix my concrete.  I didn’t read the instructions, I just mixed until  I got a consistency I liked.

IMG_9041-001

I used another cheap plastic bowl for my container and an empty sour cream bowl to create the empty area inside the planter.

IMG_9034-001

IMG_9035

My husband warned me to leave it alone for 24 hours.  I didn’t listen.  I had to make another one because it broke in half.  So DO NOT mess with it for 24 hours. 

Last night after it sat long enough, I removed it from the containers and sanded the edges with coarse sandpaper to smooth them a bit. 

I didn’t have a plant and it was dark so I put a tea light candle in it to see how that looked.

IMG_9178

Today I bought a succulent and brought it home.  It was way too big.

20120415-IMG_9220

Which really stinks because it is such a pretty one, so I planted it elsewhere. 

I dug up some mossy stuff I had planted in my flower beds and placed it in the planter.

20120415-IMG_9216

It fit and it looks soft and pretty against the hard concrete.

20120415-IMG_9211

I placed it in a grouping on my patio table. 

20120415-IMG_9205

And decided it looks pretty dang cute. 

sig

Linking to

Saturday Night Special @ Funky Junk Interiors

Sunday Showcase @ Under the Table and Dreaming

Meet Me Monday @ You’re Talking Too Much

Wow Us Wednesday @ Savvy Southern Style

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails