Sunday, February 7, 2010

Free Decorating

For the last two weekends I have been using stuff around my house to redecorate. It seems more times than not I buy scrapbook paper when I go to a craft store even if I don't need it. I am drawn to the prints and they scream buy me. I finally put some of them to good use today. I have had 2 boxes for probably 20 years. I use them to store extra candles and to decorate my fireplace hearth. I think I bought them at Pier One. I have been wanting to repaper them for awhile and finally took the plunge. I love when a project turns out better than you even hoped it would. I really like them.

Here is one of the before boxes with an after box.


Here is the before box close up. It had a world map print and an ugly tassel.


These are the after pics. The paper edges didn't meet up as well as I wanted them to so I used some paint to distress and age the edges. I think it makes the boxes look more interesting. I replaced those ugly tassels with a monogram which can easily be removed for a cleaner look. I painted the box lids off white and stained them and then distressed the edges with paint.




Last weekend I came across Susie Harris' blog that shows how she made the Pottery Barn typewriter wall art. Her project is amazing and I love it, but I wasn't brave enough to make it. Instead I just made one little "D" block using her instructions. I also repainted a frame and printed the Pottery Barn pic to put in it.




Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special



DIY Day @ ASPTL

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails